Friday 1 September 2017

By Talia Eisenberg - Leadership Is Authentic Influence That Creates Value

Anyone can be a leader no matter what the organizational hierarchy is. Reflecting on Jonathan Haidt’s Moral Foundation Theory book, “The Righteous Mind,” although rules and virtues vary across cultures, on a daily basis I am influenced by many moral foundations relating to my thoughts, feelings and decisions. For this reflection, I have chosen to discuss the ones that are most impactful for me.The care/harm moral foundation when checked against a situation inspires me to have empathy for others who may be in a different situation than myself, and sometimes it helps me to have empathy for myself too when in a tough spot. Noticing this moral foundation bubbling up in me and applying it to situations helps me to be a better team player and listener. We don’t want others to suffer. If a colleague has an illness that week and is unable to contribute, understanding what they are going through and then working out a plan for a willing team member to take over their workload uses care as a moral foundation. I try to notice and check in with others who seem to be suffering, and then take action to help support them.- Talia Eisenberg


No comments:

Post a Comment